Monday, March 10, 2008

Aaron Rodgers Wants Out Of NFL As A Conscientious Objector

Green Bay, WI. (Mar. 10) - Citing his belief that his NFL tour of duty was in "peace time" and thus not subject to action on the field of play, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has petitioned the league to let him out of his professional football commitment.

"This is not what I signed up for," Rodgers said in the wake of the news that longtime QB Brett Favre has retired after 16 seasons with the Packers. "I joined the Packers during peace time. I was told that Brett was the quarterback, that he would always BE the quarterback, and that I would be relegated to desk and clipboard duty. Which I was totally down with."

Rodgers, though, has now been thrust into the role of starting quarterback with Favre's retirement. And he believes that violates the terms of his NFL tour of duty.

"I was promised a football education, travel, and discipline," Rodgers told reporters outside the Packers' practice facility yesterday. "Nobody said anything about me actually playing.

"I'm telling you, that if I was told I'd have to play, I wouldn't have joined. I don't like violence, frankly."

So Rodgers is citing conscientious objector status as his reason for being allowed out of his NFL agreement.

"I know there's a draft. But I was drafted during PEACE TIME. Don't you get it?"


Rodgers, on Day One of his peace time NFL tour of duty


Rodgers, who says he's never even had to have his jersey laundered since being picked by the Packers in 2005, apparently underestimated the effect Favre's retirement would have on him personally.

"I naturally assumed that they'd be signing or trading for another quarterback," he told reporters. "You know, kind of like when your teacher retires. They don't make the student the teacher. You see what I mean? It's crazy."

But then reports surfaced that Rodgers, indeed, would be the Packers' signal-caller in 2008 -- which floored him.

"A complete violation of my agreement," Rodgers said. "I will not rest, and I will not stop my fight, until I am once again benched in favor of another quarterback."

"You can't just do this to someone. Someone has to take a stand against these big NFL teams. I guess it's going to be me."

Rodgers says that if his try is unsuccessful, then he'll do the next honorable thing.

"I'll move to Canada, and hold a clipboard there."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Maybe he is looking to get shot in the butt like Forest Gump So he gets all the ice cream he wants. check out www.zazgo.com for updates on Rogers all year long.