Thursday, October 2, 2008

DeMarcus Ware: "I Don't WANT To Sack Anyone, But I Will If I Have To"

Dallas, TX. (Oct. 2) - Dallas Cowboys linebacker/defensive end DeMarcus Ware, who was third in the NFL last year in sacks, says that performing that role is one that he doesn't relish, but realizes is necessary.

"Look, I don't WANT to sack anyone," Ware said after practice yesterday. "But I will if I have to. If quarterbacks would just learn to get rid of the damn ball. And if those offensive linemen would only learn how to handle my spin move and bull rush -- then none of this sacking business would be going on."

Ware expressed remorse at the number of sacks he has been accumulating -- 37.5 and counting in his young, four-year career -- and knows it must have a "terrible" effect on the quarterbacks, the linemen, and their families.

"I usually tell the dude after I've slammed his sorry ass into the turf after a sack: 'This hurts me a lot more than it hurts you'," Ware said. "But it's tough love, you know?"

Ware says he sometimes fantasizes of a world "where there would be no need for sacking and we could all just co-exist peacefully but competitively on the football field for all to see." But, he acknowledged, "That world is probably not likely in my lifetime. Maybe my children or grand-children will see it, though."

In Dallas's game against Washington last Sunday, Ware sacked Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell.

"He felt awful," Campbell said of Ware. "His eyes welled up and he kind of choked out, 'Damn you, Jason Campbell! Why'd you make me go and do that?'"

Redskins tackle Chris Samuels, who Ware beat with an "up and under move" to sack Campbell, said Ware was quite apologetic.


An emotionally distraught DeMarcus Ware forces himself to sack another quarterback, much to his chagrin


"On the way back to the huddle he said, 'Chris -- please jam me under my neck with your forearm next time. Please -- I beg you'," Samuels said, recounting Ware's words. "He was really shaken. You could tell that sacking the quarterback gives him no pleasure at all. None."

Ware reiterated that yesterday. In fact, when shown video of the Campbell sack, Ware took a deep breath, sighed, looked skyward, and then squeezed his nose, between the eyes, to stop the stem of tears. Then he asked for a moment to compose himself before commenting.

"Look at me -- I'm a damn monster! A monster! Oh God, what have I done?," Ware screamed as he kicked over the television monitor. Moments later, Ware was hugged/restrained by head coach Wade Phillips, who was heard cooing, "It's OK, big guy" as Phillips stroked Ware's head.

"When I came to the Cowboys, I told them, 'I'm a good sacker, but I only do it if absolutely necessary'," Ware said, adding that he had hoped "other arrangements" could be made to stall the other team's passing attack.

"DeMarcus sees sacking the quarterback as an ostentatious display of his God-given speed, strength, and cat-like quickness," Phillips said after calming Ware down. "He feels like he shouldn't be exploiting what God has empowered him to do; in other words, a sack should be a last resort."

Ware said he can't believe the NFL hasn't come up with a "viable alternative" to the quarterback sack.

"What are we waiting for? For someone to get hurt?"

Ware said he would continue to do his job, but that he wishes it wouldn't have to come at the expense of anyone.

"I mean, those dudes are people, too," Ware said. "They have families. But don't they see that, before they let me bust through their weak protection schemes?"

Ware added that he almost wishes the NFL would outlaw the forward pass, thus eliminating the need for quarterback sacks altogether.

"A man can dream, can't he?," Ware said before strapping his helmet on and returning to the practice field, where he was later seen kicking backup quarterback Brad Johnson into unconsciousness, as punishment for failing to scramble out of Ware's grasp.

No comments: